For å sammenligne to ting som er like, bruker vi følgende mønster:
as + adjektiv som indikerer mengde + (substantiv) + as
Hvilket adjektiv du bruker er avhengig av om substantivet i sammenligningen er tellbar eller utellbar.
Bruk as many og as few med tellbare substantiv. Husk at substantivet kan utelates når det er underforstått i konteksten, som i siste eksempelet nedenfor.
- They have as many children as we do.
- We have as many customers as they do.
- Tom has as few books as Jane.
- There are as few houses in his village as in mine.
- You know as many people as I do.
- I have visited the States as many times as he has.
- I have three brothers. That's as many as you have. ("brothers" is understood)
Bruk as much eller as little med utellbare substantiv. Husk at substantivet kan utelates når det er underforstått i konteksten, som i siste eksempelet nedenfor.
- John eats as much food as Peter.
- Jim has as little patience as Sam.
- You've heard as much news as I have.
- He's had as much success as his brother has.
- They've got as little water as we have.
- I'm not hungry. I've had as much as I want. ("food" is understood)