Preteritum perfektum samtidsform og dets funksjoner
Preteritum perfektum samtidsform (past perfect continuous) tilsvarer presens perfektum samtidsform (present perfect continuous), men det henviser til noe som skjedde tidligere enn 'før nå'. Som med presens perfektum samtidsform, er vi mer interessert i selve prosessen.
- Had you been waiting long before the taxi arrived?
- We had been trying to open the door for five minutes when Jane found her key.
- It had been raining hard for several hours and the streets were very wet.
- Her friends had been thinking of calling the police when she walked in.
Denne formen brukes også i indirekte tale (reported speech). Den tilsvarer preteritum samtidsform (past continuous) og presens perfektum samtidsform (present perfect continuous) i direkte tale (direct speech):
- Jane said, "I have been gardening all afternoon." = Jane said she had been gardening all afternoon.
- When the police questioned him, John said, "I was working late in the office that night." = When the police questioned him, John told them he had been working late in the office that night.
Forming av preteritum perfektum samtidsform
Preteritum perfektum samtidsform (past perfect continuous) består av to deler: preteritum perfektum formen av verbet to be (had been) + hovedverbets presens partisipp, (grunnform + ing).
|Subjekt||had been||verb + ing|
To buy, preteritum perfektum samtidsform
|I had been buying||I hadn't been buying||Had I been buying?|
|You had been buying||You hadn't been buying||Had you been buying?|
|She had been buying||She hadn't been buying||Had she been buying?|
|We had been buying||We hadn't been buying||Had we been buying?|
|They had been buying||They hadn't been buying||Had they been buying?|